Monday, December 20, 2010

Distractions

So in order for me to keep up this blog about my writing I actually have to be writing. There in lies the problem. I haven't written anything in at least four days and with Christmas being this week it doesn't look like I will be doing much writing anyway.

My novel is only at 22,000 words. Barley making a blip on the novel writing radar. Most first novels are 80,000 words at least and it took me a month just to break 20,000 before an in shakable wave of Writer's Block consumed me.

As usually happens when I get Writer's Block I had a new story idea. Normally I would pursue the new idea and leave the original in the dust however I wanted to finish my novel and with some pressing from certain people I didn't pursue the story and the idea is sitting in an unnamed file somewhere in the depths of my computer.

Now I have reached a point were I have no desire to write at all. This happens to me allot and normally I would just go with it and eventually come back to writing in a few weeks.

However I want to finish this story. I don't like it at all but I want to know what it is like to actually finish. I want to go through the editing proses, and the revisions, and all the other steps that make the novel that you get at the stores.

I don't know if this novel specifically will ever be published but if I can at least finish it then I will know that I can. Maybe that's all I really need to start with.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, you are right. Stick with it! And, believe me, there is no race. It's sure to take more than a couple of months to write a novel. Do not rush. Take a Christmas break and I'll bet you will be ready to write again soon. And in the meantime, keep the blog going. You can tell us more about yourself while your novel is resting.

    ReplyDelete